Needles Side Xoil Tattoos Girl

xoil tattoo, girls
Trust me when I say you’ll know if a tattoo was been done by Xoïl on sight. His work with the graphic style is distinct; there’s a reason he’s one of the first people to come to mind whenever I talk about a style that’s usually just referred to as ‘Photoshop’.
Keeping with Tattoo Snob’s mission to bring a greater understanding (and possibly, appreciation) of  tattooing worldwide, I think the Photoshop/graphic style is an important one to keep an eye on. This stuff is a far cry from traditional tattooing–and that’s what I like about it. 
Photo courtesy of Tim Georgeson.

Tattoo Snob: Let’s get the basics out of the way: what’s your story?
Xoïl: My name is Loïc aka Xoïl. I am from a very small village in the south of France. I am from a very modest family. My father worked hard at being a mason. He used things that someone didn’t want for making cool stuff. So I guess he gave us the taste to be ambition to do great things. Then when I was a teenager I wanted to escape from this very rural life and… I don’t know, this combination plus destiny brought me here today.
TS: You’re known for your Photoshop tattoos, and I have a couple of questions about them. How did you start doing tattoos like these? What are your inspirations?
X: I start this style like 5 years ago. Jef came up with the idea to do only that and start to make it. And they were really shocking to the mind I guess, for most people. For me it was more a revelation. It was what I always wanted to do and now it was possible, in front of me and very well done. A very creative and awesome way to think about tattoos.
TS: Have you noticed the Photoshop style resonates well with a particular part of the world or demographic? I feel like it is infinitely more popular in France and Belgium than the US. Any idea why?
X: I think this style emerged in Europe. I don’t know how you call it when something happens first in one place. I don’t know. It is more special to this place. That is why it is more popular and it creates a lot of revelation for people like me.
For me, it was Jef but for some people it was Yann Black and before that we had Bugs who wasn’t doing graphic but just decided to do really different things than the traditional movement. So then of course all those people create desire for tattoo artists to want to change their way. Artists who had something different inside of themselves and now they had a mentor or something.
TS: As a side note, is there another term for this style other than Photoshop?
X: Yah, I call this folder Photoshop because that is what it is–a Photoshop tattoo. I also want to to warn people that, yes, I use Photoshop to create tattoos. People say digital composition. Graphic style, effectively.
TS: Which is better for you: a client that comes in with lots visual references for you, or just a loose idea of what they want? Given the very specific references each tattoo you do includes, it seems like you’d be one of the few tattooers that prefer a client arrive with too much material than too little.
X: I would say a loose idea of something. You can’t really ask me to do something exactly that way or that postured that looking. I want something really general, I need to compose around an idea and find a good answer to your need. And maybe sometime I will have to pass by a way that you didn’t expect to get there. So yes, I guess the best is a loose idea.
TS: I know you’re about to spend a few months in NYC. You’re out here on a semi-regular basis; do you feel like people here are more receptive to your tattoos than other places in the US?
X: Not especially because when I am here people are traveling from all over the U.S. I think it is just the spot to host me first and I think I will stay here. It is a very awesome shop, the people are very cool and talented. (Tattoo Culture in Brooklyn, NY) I think it will staying my U.S base until I choose a west coast spot.
TS: Any other your travel/convention plans for 2012?
X: Travel plans are always changing, I try to keep everything posted on the info section of my Facebook page.
TS: I know you’re usually on the go, but do you have any exciting guest artists coming through Needles Side Tattoo in the coming months?
X: I have some cool people. My last apprentice sometimes makes a jump in the shop, Kofi. Big Little Kev is finishing his apprenticeship with me now, he is very talented. Laurent a friend from my teenage years works at the shop full time. And I have a friend Teiki who does very traditional Marcesian. I open to host every people that want to spend time.
TS: I’m not sure how much free space you have left on your own body, but: space and time permitting, what three tattooers would you like to get work done by?
X: The next person to tattoo me will certainly me a friend. Someone I spend a good moment with. There are some artists whose work I like… but I think they are assholes so I will never do it.
TS: While I see a ton of tattoos by you, I feel like I don’t see much artwork posted outside of that. Between traveling and tattooing I’m sure you’re low on free time but… where can we see some of your artwork that’s not attached to a human being?
X: Well, you probably could see that when I take a break from tattooing. Like some holiday or a less crazy moment. Then I have time for painting and creative things.

You can find Xoil online exclusively on the Needles Side Facebook Page. (Amusingly, if you ‘Like’ the page he will show up as your favorite athlete.)
Follow Milanisty's board Men's Clothing on Pinterest.
Follow Milanisty's board Fashion Ring on Pinterest.